"The greenest building...
is the one already built."
Over the years, Hedgehog Holdings has discovered that older buildings offer excellent opportunities for green development. Reusing and adapting older buildings is not only a good way to preserve our history, but also a great way to recycle. When we rehabilitate a building or fit up a space for a new tenant, we look for ways to incorporate green elements into the design. We often like to find creative ways to use salvaged architectural materials, and we’re always on the lookout for materials or finishes that are sustainable or have recycled content. These buildings have been rehabilitated by Hedgehog Holdings over the years.
- Carl Elefante
Originally, Pilot Mill was one of two textile mills in Raleigh that produced "gray goods", or unfinished cotton, in the late eighteen and early nineteen hundreds. The first part of the mill was constructed in 1894, with additions in 1903, 1910 and 1920. Like many southern textile mills, Pilot Mill closed in the 1960s as the textile industry moved overseas. The building sat neglected and obsolete until 1997, when Hedgehog Holdings joined in purchasing Pilot Mill and initiated the rehabilitation process. Today, Pilot Mill is home to professional offices, cutting-edge entrepreneurs and a variety of non-profit organizations.
Mary Elizabeth Hospital was built in 1918 to serve the local Raleigh community. Raleigh residents still remember the hospital’s reputation for having a quality maternity ward, and the parties held at the hospital every year to celebrate the children born there. After the hospital moved to a larger facility, the building was adapted for office use. The building now houses the non-profit organization, North Carolina Partnership for Children and the offices of Hedgehog Holdings.
The property known as The 401 Hillsborough Street Building was originally constructed in 1929 to be a tire and car service station. In the mid-1980s Hedgehog Holdings obtained the property and adapted it for use as professional offices, artist studios and a local bar. In 2009, Exploris Middle School moved into the building as well.